- Traveling isn’t an Excuse
- Stay Active Where Ever You Are
- Watch Out For Social Eating
With all those summer cookouts and relaxing days on the beach, staying healthy in the summer is a challenge. It’s a time to have fun and cool off, so why not slip into bad diet and exercise habits? However, if you are trying to stay healthy in the summer months it’s not impossible; all it takes is a little planning!
Don’t Make Traveling an Excuse
Vacationing is often used as an excuse to indulge, which you most certainly should. Go ahead and have that ice cream cone on the beach, you’ve earned it! Try and remember that moderation is key and eating healthy goes a long way. Here are two plans of attack to keep your vacation in moderation.
- Plan A: before leaving for your trip, research different restaurants or grocery stores in the area. Try to stick to restaurants that offer healthy options, or pick up some fruit and veggies to snack on from a nearby grocery store.
- Plan B: carry a cooler or backpack full of healthy snacks. You’ll be less likely to stop at a hot dog stand or fast-food drive through every time you feel hungry.
Stay Fit Even When Your Routine Changes
You can still fit fitness into your traveling without going to the gym!. There are some simple ways to fit cardio into your trip. Some ideas for fitting cardio into your trip include, but are not limited to:
- Take a long walk on the beach
- Hike a nature trail through the mountains
- Ride a bike to explore the new area, and more!
You can also use the pedometer on your phone or smartwatch to set stepping goals. This allows you to track your movement and calories. Walking may not seem like much exercise, but keeping your body moving a little goes a long way.
Prepare for Social Eating
Summer is the prime time for parties and barbeques, but don’t let them derail you. Planning what to eat ahead of time is a great way to stay on track. If you’re eating at a restaurant, look at the menu ahead of time. Decide what to order before you get there. This allows you to avoid the menu and stick to your predetermined choice. If you are going to someone’s home for a get together, bring something healthy so there is something for you to enjoy. If you are worried about overeating, try to stay full. Yes, staying full without eating high-calorie foods is possible! Here’s how:
- Eat a healthy meal beforehand so you’re not hungry on arrival
- Dehydration can be mistaken for hunger, so drink at least eight glasses of water a day.
- Eat slowly or engage in conversation in between bites. This way your brain will have time to register you’re full.
Maintain Your Health with Stolman Acupuncture
While you can indulge in moderation, it is very easy to maintain healthy diet exercise in the summer. With simple planning ahead of time and making the most out of your travel destinations, you can enjoy yourself without feeling guilty! You can continue your healthy habits after vacation with acupuncture from Stolman Acupuncture. Contact us to make your appointment today and feel like you are still on vacation with the relaxation acupuncture sessions provide.